Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Weekend Breakfast Spot - Old Farm House Restaurant

Ever notice how breakfast taste good at any time during the day?  It is the one type of food both the hubby and I crave on a cozy, slow weekend morning.

In the Bay Area we had our favorite breakfast spot, the Country Inn Cafe, in Santa Clara.  It was a family run restaurant chain with delicious breakfast options.  My favorite dish there was a hash benedict--corn beef hash on a toasted english muffin topped with perfectly cooked poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.  Yum!  The thought of it makes me drool every time.

In the Rogue Valley, I have been on a search for a perfect weekend morning breakfast spot.  There are a few restaurants we tried--Spicers and the Parkside Cafe.  They were decent with good simple food, reasonable prices and quick service.  However, I found they missed the extra touch I crave in a weekend breakfast spot.

Unexpectedly, I was introduced to my new favorite weekend breakfast spot.  Earlier this week, on a lunch with the girls, I was introduced to the Old Farm House Restaurant.  This local chain has four restaurants all around Medford. 

I arrived for lunch a bit skeptical.  The downtown location had a full parking lot at 12:00 on a weekday; however, it was tucked between some shops and seemed to blend with the rest of the buildings.  If I hadn't been looking for it, I would not have found it.  Walking through the door, I was pleasantly surprised.  The restaurant sports a bright interior with homey decor and paintings from local artists hanging for sale on the walls. 

Breaking open the menu there was a plethora of breakfast options including a build-your-own skillet and several griddle options.  I went with one of my favorites:  country fried steak.

:
The country style gravy was tasty and coated a perfect golden country fried steak.  On the side was a homemade biscuit larger than my fist.  With a price of just under $9, this meal easily became two for me.

With my new discovery, I had to introduce my hubby to this find.  After a slow Saturday morning, the hubby, the kid and I wandered out for brunch lunch food (it was 1:00 when we made it to the car... like I said, it was a slow Saturday morning).

I took a gamble and took the family to a different location than my earlier experience.  Amazingly, I have driven by this restaurant every day going to and from work and have never noticed it.


The hubby did a build-your-own skillet.  The waitress was even nice and allowed him to substitute his two veggies for a meat instead.  His plate was clean within 15 minutes of the food arriving... for my picky hubby, that is a sure sign he liked the food. 

I loved the extra touch they did for the kid's menu.  My son's menu was folded and inside were crayons and a wooden token that promised a free sundae or a $1.00 off their next meal.  For the kid, we ordered the pig pen--bit size corn dogs and fries.  His review of his food--he ate the breading off the corn dogs and fed mom his fries.  Those are sure signs he liked it.

With a focus on breakfast and lunch, the Old Farm House Restaurant is only open till 4:00.  Prices were reasonable with heaping plates of food which just hits the spot when you want to enjoy a breakfast meal any time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment